Users with a non-SOE Windows machine can install the client by:
- Logging in to Web App
- Selecting Home
- Clicking “Install Lync”.
SOE users will not yet be able to use the client but it will be made available on the new Windows 7 Managed Staff Desktop later this summer.
Install on Mac in the same way as Windows. Once installed click on Advanced and choose the radio button next to Manual configuration. Enter sipdir.online.lync.com:443 in both Internal and External Server Name fields and click on ok. This is shown on http://glazenbakje.wordpress.com/2011/12/28/microsoft-lync-on-mac-os-x-how-to-install-connect-with-microsoft-lync-for-mac/
What can I do with Microsoft Lync?
- Find out location and availability of contacts (Presence)
- Send instant messages to contacts
- Hold online meetings with contacts (Meet)
- Contacts imported from Office 365 (including those on your synchronised mobile device)
- Send an email to an offline contact
- Instant Message a contact from an email in Outlook on your desktop
- Use the client on desktops and mobile devices
- Find copies of previous conversations in Outlook client and webmail
What can I not currently do with Microsoft Lync?
- Make voice calls
- Video Conferencing
- Call or IM other organisations
- Send instant messages from within webmail
More about lync – http://lync.microsoft.com