Help and Reference
This page is intended as a reference after initial volunteer training. If you need help you can email the team on email@example.com or call us on the mobile number pinned to the notice board
- Sign in at the front desk for the key and pass
- Come into the cave and turn on the lights and the PC
- Sign in as Student – password pinned to the notice board
Identifying the work to be done
- Look for the folder on the shelf marked ‘Current Bookes to be scanned’.
- Inside this folder are work records for the next 10 books/chapters that need to be scanned and/or formatted. They are ordered in terms of priority so complete the job nearest the front of the folder first.
- Once you have finished scanning/ formatting for the day it is important that you record where you started and left off on the relevant page so the next person can pick up from where you left off
Here is an example of a work record (docx).
When leaving, please remember to;
- Shut down the computer you were using,
- Turn off the computer screens,
- Turn off the scanners,
- Make sure the door is locked.
Stage 1 – Using the scanner and saving as PDF
Stage 2 – Accessible PDF (under development)
Stage 3 – Creating a master Word document
Stage 4 – Producing the alternative format (e.g. Braille, large print)
This is where you produce the alternative format from the master document in word. The alternative format will most likely be large print, small print, braille or audio. Steps to do most of these are provided in the training booklet
Stage 5 – Upload to My Dundee
Once the material has been converted into an alternative format it will be uploaded to a module on my.dundee for students to access. This step requires extra training, and not all volunteers will have access at the start