Do you recognise these railings?

They were once part of the University – but are now homed at the Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design as part of Art & Humanities student Astrid Leeson’s Masters Show exhibit.

It had been a feature of the Estates and Buildings Office in Smalls Wynd.

The building was demolished earlier this year, and while it was coming down, Astrid caught sight of the railings.

“I had seen them on one of my walks and I photographed them several times.” said Astrid. “I just kept going back to them until one day I spoke to a builder on-site.”

He told her she needed to speak to a ‘Tall bloke with a beard called Paul.’ Eventually she found Paul and he gave her the railings. “To get the railings out the crane driver had to lift a metal frame off of them.” said Astrid. “They did it so delicately as if it was just picking up a pencil.”

Astrid is no stranger to the halls of DJCAD. In 2009 she graduated with a degree in Fine Art. “Dundee is home now” said Astrid “I didn’t ever plan to stay, but I love Dundee, it’s one of my favourite cities. There’s something that always surprises you. There’s a nice energy and people willing to help you at all times.”

The Masters Show is open until Sunday, 27th August and is open 10am-8pm on weekdays and from 10am-4pm at weekends.