In what would have been graduation week, we’re very proud of all of our students. We spoke to some of our nursing students who are graduating from practice this year, many of whom stepped up to work for our local health service to finish their degrees and joined the global battle against Covid-19. 

In this blog, some of our nursing students take a moment to reflect on their recent placements.

Brooklyn Bruce
Adult Nursing BSc

“I am a final year student who “opted in” to be a Band 4 Student Nurse during this pandemic.

“My current placement is at Whitehills Community Hospital within Angus. It is a brilliant hospital to work in, with an amazing team who have given me such a variety of learning opportunities.

“There are two areas in the wards I work in, firstly rehabilitation… I love being involved in helping patients to rehab and get them back on their feet before going home, it’s so rewarding. Secondly the hospice, looking after a patient – and their family – at the end of their life is such a privilege. Being able to help a patient have a good death, exactly how they want it to be, is rewarding.

“I have enjoyed every opportunity and experience I have been given at Whitehills and it has certainly given me the knowledge and confidence for becoming a registered nurse.”

Mark Gourlay
Adult Nursing MSc

“I am at the end of my degree in MSc in Adult Nursing.

“My sign-off placement is in Carmichael House Care Home in Dundee, and it has been a very rewarding experience. I have enjoyed getting to know the residents and building a rapport with them – I really like hearing their stories and learning more about them, and it is a privilege to care for them during this difficult time we are facing.

“The staff have been incredibly supportive during my time as a Band 4 Student Nurse, and they have really welcomed me as a valued team member. I appreciate being given the opportunity to engage in the carer, nursing, and management side of the care home. This continues to be a great experience and I am thoroughly enjoying my time here.”

Lindsay O’Keeffe
Mental Health Nursing BSc

“I am studying mental health nursing and will finish my placement in the intensive psychiatric care unit next week.

“I have gained a massive amount of confidence. It’s shown me truly what being qualified and working is going to be like, and it really has pulled all my learning together and made me feel ready to take up my graduate band 5 post. I would just like to say a big thank you to the university for their hard work and support over the past three years.”

The Dean, Professor Lynn Kilbride, wanted to give a final message of congratulations to all of our nurses. She said:

“2020 is the Year of the Nurse and Midwife and the response of these final year students to the Covid-19 pandemic has been amazing. It’s highlighted the real value of our professions to the healthcare workforce and society as a whole.

“Despite all of the logistical challenges and concerns these nurses chose to complete their studies in the clinical areas. Their attitude and performance has been a great source of pride for the University and School.

“I want to offer my heartfelt congratulations and thanks to all of our students qualifying. I am delighted to know that the future of healthcare is in good hands.”