Why should I walk?

The University of Dundee enjoys a wonderful location alongside the Tay Estuary and its campus is an ideal place to enjoy walking, with plenty of green space and some interesting, historic buildings.

Walking a mile or so each day has been shown to reduce the risk of chronic illnesses, such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, asthma and strokes.

Walking can also help to make you feel happier, reduce stress, build self-esteem and lead to a good night’s sleep.

Walking is a simple way to get out of the office or lab, enjoy some fresh air and spend a few minutes either clearing your mind of work or catching up with colleagues for a chat.

Walking a mile usually takes between 15 and 20mins depending on walking speed, so can be comfortably fitted into a lunch break, with time to spare for a well-earned cuppa and snack.

Where can I walk?

There are many pleasant walking options around the University, with Magdalen Green, Seabraes, the V&A and the campus itself offering a variety of views and routes which are safe and enjoyable. Of course you can walk wherever you prefer, but we’ve outlined below a few walks which we think you will enjoy:

FAQs

Is there any reason why I can’t take part in the Daily Mile?

Walking a daily mile is one of the simplest methods of building regular physical activity into your daily routine.  Walking is a low impact, safe form of activity that most people are able to manage.  If you are in any doubt about your ability to participate in a daily mile due to potential health issues, you should seek advice from your GP or relevant health professional.

What should I wear?

Walking is a low intensity exercise, but it is important to feel comfortable – especially with your footwear.  Make sure that your shoes are comfortable and don’t have any significant heels (if you have a spare pair of training shoes for walking that would be great).  Your clothing will depend on the weather conditions and climate – remember, weather conditions can change quickly in Dundee!

When can I go for my Daily Mile walk?

The ideal time for your daily mile walk would be during your lunchtime.  With walking a mile likely to take no more than 25 minutes, you will still have plenty of time to enjoy a bite to eat when you return.  However it may be that walking at another time of the day is either preferable or more beneficial for you.  Whatever time of the day you decide to set off on your Daily Mile, please ensure that you have the support of your line manager.

How can I progress with my walking and general physical activity?

As you walk more regularly you will find that your walking capacity and speed will probably increase.  This will allow you to walk with more confidence and speed, potentially allowing you to walk further and see more during your Daily Mile.  The Institute of Sport and Exercise (ISE) provides many opportunities for exercise, sport and physical activity, based in welcoming facilities on the main University campus.  For further details and advice contact ISE reception on 01382 384121 or visit the ISE website.

Benefits of walking

Benefits for Employees

• A lunchtime walk helps people to return to work feeling refreshed and energised.
  • Walking can be included as part of the journey to and from work and is easy to fit into lunch breaks. As it is a gentle activity, there is no need to get changed or shower.
  • Workplace walking can be a sociable activity and has the added value of providing an opportunity to network.
  • People who are physically active are at lower risk of cardiovascular disease.
  • Those that include a walk in their daily routine report being more able to focus at work and having higher energy levels.

Benefits for Employers*

• Physically active employees take 27% less sick days than non–active employees.
  • Studies have shown that individual work performance can be improved by between 4% and 15% when people engage in regular physical activity.
  • Physical activity within the workforce reduces staff turnover and intention to leave.
  • A physically active workforce increases employee commitment to work, staff performance and productivity.
  • Daily walking has been shown to improve mental wellbeing and reduce stress.

*British Heart Foundation Physical Activity Statistics 2015

Our suggested Daily Miles

Browse through the routes below.

What do Daily Mile walkers think?

A pilot study in February 2018 by the Institute of Sport and Exercise in collaboration with staff from the School of Nursing and Health Sciences saw significant increases in physical activity and improved mental wellbeing across staff who incorporated a daily mile into their working day.  Staff also reported increased energy levels and better concentration at work:

“I felt with getting out of the office and away from my computer allowed me to clear my head and I felt that I achieved more when I came back into the office……..I also feel better within myself”

“as a result of going out during the day, felt my head was clearer and that I could focus on my work better on return”

“after a few days of taking part I really found huge benefits to my wellbeing and energy levels….. after my walk I felt refreshed and more awake and my work load seemed less of a toil.  I felt I was much more productive and even had more energy going home at 5pm”

Did you know?

• Walking a mile uses the same calories as running a mile.
  • Walking a mile normally only takes 15 – 20 minutes.
  • Walking is a “low impact” form of exercise, meaning that the load on your joints is lessened.
  • Brisk walking helps reduce body fat and lower blood pressure.
  • Race walking has been an official Olympic sport for over 90 years!
  • In an average lifetime, a person will walk a distance equal to three times round the equator!!