Internationally acclaimed musicians and some of Scotland’s most exciting breakthrough artists will gather in Paisley this week to attend the prestigious Scottish Album of the Year 2018 Award Ceremony – and one of our graduates has designed a bespoke piece of art for the winner.

Taking place on Thursday 6 September in Paisley, the ceremony will see the winner’s album announced, as chosen by a panel of tastemakers appointed from across the creative industries. The winner will receive £20,000, while everyone shortlisted will win £1,000. In addition, they will all be presented with a distinctive piece of bespoke textile art by Obsidian Ore – of which the designer and owner is a graduate of DJCAD.

“When I read the brief, connecting Paisley’s textile heritage and the celebration of music together just sounded challenging and fun to explore. I started trying out ways I could show sound waves through fabric including embroidery, digital print and fusing different textures together.”

Geri Donnelly, Designer and Owner at Obsidian Ore, is a textile design graduate of Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art & Design and has been working with Renfrewshire Council’s InCube business incubator scheme, which provides funding and support to creative businesses. She won the SAY Design Commission after entering a competition by the organisers of The SAY Award, the Scottish Music Industry Association, which provided the opportunity to design the artwork for the shortlisted Scottish Album of the Year artists.

For the project, Geri has fused different fabrics and threads together to create each unique artwork, which embrace and reflect on Paisley’s rich textile heritage and the iconic Paisley Shawls.

“DJCAD helped me realise my design aesthetic and without their teaching, I would not be where I am today.”

Geri said: “When I read the brief, connecting Paisley’s textile heritage and the celebration of music together just sounded challenging and fun to explore. I started trying out ways I could show sound waves through fabric including embroidery, digital print and fusing different textures together.

“Building my design skills at DJCAD was a massive learning curve for me. My time there was so worthwhile and that was due to their support through the facilities offered and the exceptional teaching. DJCAD helped me realise my design aesthetic and without their teaching, I would not be where I am today.”