Zoe Galbraith is from Dundee. She’s an Administrative Assistant within the Centre for Entrepreneurship in Student Services, which providing our students with the necessary skills and resources to help them come up with and formulate a business idea. She’s responsible for the student team that organise many events, most notably Venture. If you’ve ever dreamed of taking your side-hustle to the next level, Zoe’s a great person to talk to.

ABOUT YOUR WORK

What’s your role at the University? My role within the Centre for Entrepreneurship is to welcome people into the centre, to be a friendly face when they first walk in the door. I manage the Student Team that the centre employs every academic year, supporting them in the running of the events that we provide to staff, students, recent graduates and the general public throughout the year.

And what do you do day to day? I work alongside the team at the centre, and also our partners at Elevator, to provide entrepreneurs the support which they need.

Is there anything that gives you satisfaction in your work? Knowing that we are supporting budding entrepreneurs in their business ideas no matter how big or small. Also being organised – I’m a bit of a spreadsheet and stationery geek!

There must be some challenges – how do you face them? It can be difficult managing a team of six students as they all work differently and have different life experiences, as well as their studies to work on. I find taking it one day at a time works best, and to remember that we are all always learning.

What’s the best thing about your work? Pre-Covid, it was a good working atmosphere at the centre. It’s such a great team between the University of Dundee and Elevator. The radio and the kettle were always on (and I know where the backup biscuits are kept).

And the hardest? Not being in the centre at the moment and seeing my colleagues everyday.

WORKING FROM HOME

How has the current lockdown/work from home situation affected what you do? It has affected me in two ways. I do really miss as not working alongside my team and the motivation that we give each other. In a way it has been a blessing as I have managed to focus on my physical health with finding more time to exercise during lunch breaks and straight after work. This in hand improves your mental health and wellbeing.

Have you found working from home to be more or less effective in terms of work delivery and the job that you do? I would say it’s been good in terms of being more focused – there are less distractions working from home! I set myself goals before and after lunch time which allows me to be productive with regular breaks.

Has there been a particular support? The team we work with are very supportive. We check in with each other daily and have regular video calls to catch up and discuss what has been done, and what still needs to be done. Also having GIF wars back and forward on Microsoft Teams helps.

Is there anything new within the current situation that you hope will continue after we return to campus? Definitely the regular meetings. It allows us to regroup and focus on what we have to do each week.

CAMPUS LIFE

Do you miss the campus you work on? Yes, I miss the buzz of the campus and being around others.

What do you most look forward to doing once you are back? Getting back to working on the events side of things and being around people.

Tell us your campus hotspot? Campus green, it’s nice to sit outside at lunch time but watch out for seagulls – make sure you eat your lunch before you go out!

Is there someone at the University who inspires you? There are many people at the University that inspire me. Particularly the alumni that we have had in to deliver our Masterclass talks – their stories are all so different but usually follow the same morals and advice.

How would you describe the University to someone who doesn’t know it? It’s a community in which there is lots of support around you to achieve your goals whilst studying, but also after you leave University.

ABOUT YOU

What do you do outside of work? I like to get outdoors, I love cooking from scratch, socialising with friends (when we can), grabbing a nice coffee from local cafes.

Tell us something we don’t know about you? I am a lefty!

Photo of Zoe's cooking a meal of chilli and rice decoratively placed on a plate with nacho crisps around the meal

Who would you invite to a dinner party? Right now, my friends and family. I was cooking so much in lockdown, it’s so nice to be able to have them over and cook for them!

Why Dundee? It is where I have lived all my life. It’s amazing to see how it has grown and developed over the years.