With its bustling corridors and DUSA on your doorstep, for most students City Campus is the University of Dundee.

But less than an hour’s drive away the University’s Kirkcaldy Campus plays host to its School of Nursing and Health Sciences, and an equally vibrant student community.

So for those who have never visited the Fife coast, what is it like to live and learn on the banks of the Forth, instead of the Tay?

Originally from Virginia in the United States, Courtney Claunch has worked as a Senior Library Assistant at the Kirkcaldy Campus for the past 18 months. Having initially worked for six months in the City Campus library, she said that the move south has been hugely enjoyable.

“I love it here,” she said.

“The team in Dundee were great to work with and I really enjoyed myself, but I absolutely adore the close sense of community that comes with being on the Kirkcaldy Campus.

“The library is the hub of the campus here so you always feel at the heart of everything. We also have a much smaller student body so we get to know students a bit better than we would elsewhere. It gets to the point where we can even recommend films or music to each other, and that’s a really nice aspect of working here.”

The home town of economist Adam Smith, former Prime Minister Gordon Brown, and Coldplay bassist Guy Berryman, Kirkcaldy is home to around 50,000 people. Along with the nearby villages of Falkland and Culross, the town was recently used as a filming location for the hit US television show Outlander.

While Dundee and Edinburgh are around a 40-minute train journey away, the town itself boasts plenty of sources of entertainment, with the University campus located just a five-minute walk from the town centre.

“Kirkcaldy is very beautiful and even my friends who visit from Edinburgh comment on how nice they think it is,” continued Courtney.

“Our students know it’s a smaller campus so they expect a greater sense of community. A lot of students are drawn here for that reason as not everybody wants that hectic feel that can come with a bigger campus. The staff are also very laid back, which helps to cultivate that feeling as well.”

As well as on-site accommodation, the campus is host to a large library and IT facilities, available to all University students and staff. While Dundee may provide the big city student experience, Courtney says that those studying in Kirkcaldy do not miss out.

“I do Park Run and have just joined the Kirkcaldy Wizards Athletic Club, and there’s a whole host of other social stuff to do,” she added.

“The countryside is just a few minutes’ drive away and I can hop on a bus to St Andrews or the train to Edinburgh and be there in no time at all.

“Every morning when I walk to the University I pass a place where I can see the sun rising over the Forth and it is the most amazing sight.  The summer is also a beautiful time to be in town, whether it’s for park run, walking down the Fife Coastal Path, or even sailing over to Inchkeith with Kinghorn Sailing Club.

“There’s so much on your doorstep here that you feel like you have the best parts of living in a city with all of the benefits of being able to enjoy the countryside or the coast.”