Meet ...

Martine van Ittersum - Senior Lecturer

Who are you? Dr Martine van Ittersum

Where do you work? School of Humanties

Where are you from? The Netherlands

What do you do at work? Senior Lecturer in History

What do you do at work? I teach global and European history, particularly Dutch and British expansion overseas prior to 1800. It is absolutely fascinating to explore the so-called writing and print revolutions of the pre-modern period from the perspectives of both English and History.  I learn something new myself every time I teach the course with Dr. Jodi-Anne George.

What gives you satisfaction? Analysing historical texts and other pieces of historical evidence (visual images, artefacts, etc.), both in my own research and in a classroom setting.   In that sense, doing research for my next book or teaching primary source materials in a seminar or tutorial are not very different.  They are two sides of the same coin.

What challenges do you face and how do you deal with them? The endless amount of paperwork!

• Paper or Digital? Paper
  • Tea or Coffee? Tea
  • Facebook or Twitter? Facebook
  • Pen or Pencil? Pen
  • Morning or Afternoon? Morning
  • Phone or Email?  I am an e-mail addict, even though I realise that a phone call can be so much more efficient in some cases.
  • English or Maths? English
  • Books or Films? Books
 What springs to mind when you hear ‘Dundee’?  Students from all over the world and from a wide variety of backgrounds come to Dundee.  The University does a remarkable job educating Scottish students from disadvantaged backgrounds.

Tell us something we don’t know about you: I spent four months as a Volunteer at Kibbutz Bar’am in Northern Israel when I was 18 years old.  It was a transformative experience.  

Someone at the University who inspires you: Graeme Stevenson, Director of Music at the University of Dundee. I love how he works with the University Choir, and, of course, other choirs and orchestras on campus.  Many of the Choir members (including myself) are just complete amateurs.  That does not stop Graeme from giving us challenging pieces of music to rehearse, and then performing these in Caird Hall.