What do we do?

Registry has been described as the beating heart of the University….. what we do is at the very heart of the student experience. We are there to welcome students as they matriculate on their first day at University and then at every stage throughout their academic journey – from accessing their student funding, scheduling their teaching, arranging degree exams, right through to their graduation day, when we are there with their academic tutors and family to send them off armed with their academic award and degree transcript.  More than this we supply data reports and information to external agencies, including the Government and its agencies which helps to ensure that our University can be compared against others of similar quality and standing both in the UK and international arena.

SHARON HAMILTON

Sharon has worked at the University for 26 years working in Finance and Registry since 2009 as Tuition Fees Team Leader.

What do you do in Registry?

One of my main duties is to ensure that students receive their maintenance loans and funding is confirmed as soon as they matriculate for a new academic year at University of Dundee. The Fees Team confirm students’ status to SAAS and SLC on a daily basis allowing funding to be released to the student and the University.

We process tuition fee invoices generating student income of approximately £48 million in an academic year. We also deal with enquiries from students and external sponsors such as employers, the NHS and Embassies. I maintain the course management service on the Student Loan Company portal, ensuring accurate course titles, course fees and semester dates are listed in advance of students applying to University of Dundee.

Someone at the University who inspires you?

I was privileged to know and work with the late Norma Stewart, Sales Ledger Manager in Finance and latterly as the Student Records and Fees Officer. Norma encouraged and inspired my career progression in both Finance and Registry, she was an excellent manager and a lovely friend.

What do you love about Dundee?

The view when you come over the River Tay to Dundee always melts my heart. I appreciate the surrounding coastal and rural scenery all within a short journey of the city, and enjoy the local rivalry between Dundee FC and Dundee United, especially the local derby.

JAYNE NICHOLSON

Jayne started at the University as an Office Junior in 1987, and before joining Registry in 1997 she worked in the Secretary’s Department and Postgraduate Office.

What do you do in Registry?

I work in the Student Records Office as the Student Records Team Leader, responsible for creation and maintenance of complete and accurate student records, ensuring processes are actioned in a timely manner. I prepare/run reports produced in relation to the Student Records Management System (SITS).

I provide training for SRO team/Student Services staff and ensure training notes are issued/up-to-date.

The Student Records Office aims to assist students with:

• Matriculation throughout the year (entrant and continuing students)
  • Change of personal details
  • Student ID Cards
  • Council Tax Exemption enquiries
  • Issuing official documents

I also contribute in the issuing of UKVI CAS certificates for Tier 4 Visa Extensions. I provide support, advice and guidance to work colleagues, Student Services staff and external organisations.

I would have to say Muriel Duncan. I feel lucky and privileged to have worked with such a lovely, caring and supportive lady who will always be a true friend. Muriel and I worked together for over 13 years until she retired for the very first time! You will find Muriel at the Tower Reception, she is a well recognised face of the University. We used to work together in the Post Graduate Office when all processes were done manually, before the student records system was introduced. Muriel’s work ethic should be an inspiration to us all.

What do you love about Dundee?

Dundee people are super friendly and hospitable.

The City has great walking and cycle routes along the banks of the River Tay to Broughty Ferry and if you’re lucky you might spot the dolphins in the Tay.

I’m excited and proud of Dundee’s waterfront redevelopment with many new businesses, hotels and of course the new Victoria & Albert Museum. Last summer I attended some of the events at the Slessor Gardens and I am looking forward to this year’s events.