Margaret Linn and Ken Austin celebrated graduating with First Class Honours in English last week. They are graduates of the Part-time MA Degree programme, a flexible course which allows students to combine degree level study with work and other commitments.

Margaret, who completed her degree while working full-time for chartered accountancy firm MHA Henderson Loggie, said, ‘The flexibility offered by the part-time degree allowed my dream of returning to education to become a reality. We are blessed to have a University of this calibre on our doorstep that is so accessible to the local community. I would recommend it to anyone who has even the slightest interest in returning to or combining work and study.’

Ken spent most of his working life abroad before returning to his home town of Dundee seven years ago. Ken said, ‘I went to Lawside Academy where I was more interested in playing football than studying. I did love reading, however, and have been able to pursue my love of literature at University with much more relish and enthusiasm than when I was a schoolboy. Although challenging, my studies have given me a sense of achievement money can’t buy. I’ve made lasting friendships and it has been a richly rewarding experience.’

Kaye Stevenson, Director of the Part-time MA Evening Degree, said, ‘I am so proud of what they have achieved. The last two years have seen four out of our first six honours students on the programme graduating with first class honours and many progressing to further study at the University.’

The Part-time MA Degree programme offers a choice of modules from a range of subjects in Humanities and Social Sciences, many of which are taught in the evenings. There are options to take stand-alone modules, or take a Certificate or Diploma in Higher Education, an MA Degree or MA Honours Degree.

More information on studying part-time at the University can be found here.