Thinking about joining us in September?

From creating a dog walking app to mock Disaster Victim Identification scenarios. See what some of our graduates favourite part of their course was and what you can look forward to!

“My personal project ‘Heel’ was the most fun to create. What started as a brief about improving health in young people transformed as I realised that as an unhealthy young person I was in no place to lecture my peers. Or design for them. What would make students be healthier? What would make me go outside? The answer hit me like a simile hits a more talented writer. The only time I ever willingly brave the elements is to walk dogs, of course.

“Once I started on this path, it was hard for me to stop. I designed the dog walking and social platform ‘Heel’ that acted as a healthy incentive for students to get their 30 minutes of activity a day. The project was an enjoyable way to flex my skills in graphic and user interface design, as well as support the project with bright illustrations and experiment with motion graphics and animation. The DJCAD Graphic Design course presents students with challenging briefs and fast paced competitions, as well as potential self-directed projects, to give a sense of what it would be like to work in industry. But above all it encourages each individual to find their own strengths to present confident design solutions.”

Eilidh Reid

Graphic Design

“My favourite thing about my course was the opportunity to explore and develop a number of highly transferrable skills. As with many young people, I did not know exactly what professional route I would like to pursue upon completing university. However, studying a life sciences degree provided me with numerous opportunities, not only because of the many of degree routes available, but because of the wide range of skills I was able to develop.

“From first year there was an emphasis on project and group work, as well as extensive presentation and report writing practice. These are skills which are valuable in any career and are a key focus of many job applications and interview questions, my four years of study has provided me with numerous experiences to draw from which is extremely useful for successful job seeking. The flexibility has allowed me to focus my study on the areas in which I am most interested, as well as equipping me for a variety of professional roles, both within and out-with scientific fields.”

Rachel Elliott

Biomedical Sciences

“The time spent in the lab, applying the content we’d been taught, was my favourite aspect of the Forensic Anthropology course. Each session focussed on a different area of the field, and as the subject encompasses human identification as well as the analysis of skeletal remains, practicals could range from differentiating trauma types to using body modifications such as piercings and tattoos to identify individuals. One of the most enlightening practical sessions was the comparison between human and animal bone, and developing techniques to recognise the often subtle differences.

“Our final lab experience was a mock Disaster Victim Identification (DVI) scenario, where the skills that we had learnt, not only in the lab but also in lectures, were put to use attempting to identify mock remains from a simulated train crash. By recording details of injuries and trauma, as well as individuating features and body modifications, a profile of the unidentified individual could be built up, then compared against a list of individuals known to be on board at the time of the ‘train crash’, and an identity confirmed. The session showed how all of the techniques learnt over the course of the programme come together in a disaster scenario, and demonstrated the importance of the discipline in these circumstances.”

Matthew Carter

Forensic Anthropology

“I loved the flexibility that the MA course gave – I was able to study film, English, creative writing and history before settling into English and History in my final two years. This meant that I got to do modules that I enjoyed from Film (Medievalism at the Movies) while I focused on my English dissertation and History specialised module (a full year long).

“In the Medievalism at the Movies module, we got to watch a wide range of films from Joan of Arc to Monty Python and ended the year with a medieval themed party which included a Castle made from cake!”

Katie Jowett

English and History

“Digital Interaction Design, for the most part, catered for that industry – learning everything from problem solving to technical coding. There was, however, strong insistence on being involved in unlimited disciplines, which resulted in a more open-minded way of thinking about life around us. We achieved this by undertaking a variety of projects which focused on different aspects of design, guiding me to rework my thinking in order to analyse from outside of the box. There was also a strong focus on user centred design, in which I learned a lot about how people approach life and how we can dig a little deeper to understand how to make these daily interactions easier.

“My final year project aimed to make craft beer more accessible by forming a social network of new independent breweries and beer enthusiasts. I designed an app that acted as a discovery platform in which the user could browse and select different beer from brewery profiles and have them delivered to their door, resulting in diverse, custom beer orders.

“Overall, I enjoyed being able to pave my own path in the direction of my natural design ability, discovering my own strengths and how these can be translated to professional standards of work. With a broad range of design skills under my belt, I am ready to apply them to a working environment which boasts creativity and real world problem-solving.”

Dalton Alexander

Digital Interaction Design

Want to discover your Dundee?
Visit us.
Follow us:
Facebook 👍
Twitter 🐤
Instagram 📷
@dundeeuni 👻
Tag us #dundeeuni