Highlights from my first Dundee-week

• 15 September 2016, 09:33
  • 0 Comments

Hi!

I’m now sitting in my room at The Old Mill trying to recover from a week with so much experiences, new friends, fun and just as many beers. I’ve actually gotten a cold already, maybe my Norwegian body just can’t cope with a hot September – like a reversed cold or something (it can also be all the beer and the lack of sleep, but it’s probably just the sunny weather). Luckily, I don’t have any lectures this week so I can use a couple of days learning to be a good tea-drinker real Scottish-style.

Anyway, here are some highlights of my first week as a Dundeenion(?):

First day; welcome event, pub quiz and Union party

Monday started off with Principal’s Official Welcome Event at the Carid Hall in the City Square. This was a great way to get to know some of the University-staff  and different student societies. After the meeting, it was time to check out the library. With an arranged Library Tour, we got the opportunity to get to know our home for the year. You may think that living in a library seems like an awful idea, but when the library is as nice as this one, it may beat a lot of alternative student flats!

blog2

Then, it was time for meet, mix and socialize with some refreshments. A loooot of people showed up, and it was amazing to see how so many people could get along so well in just a couple of hours. I met people from all over the world, also from Dundee and other places In Scotland and the UK. After the event, some of the people from the mix and socialize-event decided to meet up later at the Pub Quiz at Duke’s Corner.

For a rather small pub, it sure was a lot of people there. You could hardly move inside. And after a lot of questions, a lot of teams and a lot of competition our team won the quiz!!

Okay, maybe we didn’t win, but we sure were close!!

Some of us decided to go celebrate at the Union-party on campus. Sorry to everyone who had to listen to us sing Mamma Mia by ABBA at the karaoke.

Plain White T’s Party

Tuesday was a great day with some free lunch and dental-/doctor-registration. But the highlight of the day must definitely have been the Plain White T’s Party, also at the Union. Everyone got white T-shirts with a lot of different tasks written on them. When we completed a task we could tick it off the shirt. I could have gotten them all, but it is kind of hard finding someone with a shorter name than “Ine”. Anyway, an awesome night with awesome peoples!

blog3

Scottish culture and HODOR

With a little hangover or not, we got to a Scottish culture event the next day. At the event we got to listen to the beautiful bagpipes, learn a little about the kilt and Scottish whiskey. Of course, we had to taste it all as well. We also got to taste the famous “haggis”. I must admit, I’ve heard a lot of different things about this dish, but it was actually quite good (as long as you don’t think about what it is all made of). Oh, how I love the Scottish culture!

blog5          blog4

Fun fact about the Scottish whiskey: did you know that all Scottish whiskey has to be kept in boxes for at least three years for it to be called Scottish whiskey – by law!

Oh, I almost forgot: HODOR from Game of Thrones was the DJ at the party later that night. How awesome is that? Everyone yelled “hold-hold-hold the — door”, haha.

blog1

Sports Fair

I have to say; I am so amazed by all the different types of sport clubs they offer at the University. They literally got it all. Scuba diving, archery, surfing, sailing, rucksack (climbing and hiking), golf, basketball and so on. They even got their own club for gaelic football(!). I am definitely joining the rucksack club, and I am also thinking about joining either the surfing club or the gaelic football as well, but time will show.

As you see, my week has been great and I look forward to the rest of this week and all the weeks to come! I don’t have a lot of pictures for you, sorry about that. My phone has cancer and is slowly dying. I am getting a new one soon. My selfie-camera is broken too, so that is probably a reason in itself to get a new one.

Talk to you soon!

My name is Ine, and I am a 22 year old girl from Norway. For my fifth year as a law student, I will be participating at the LLM program in International Criminal Justice & Human Rights at the University of Dundee.