And That’s A Wrap!

• 11 December 2016, 02:37
  • 0 Comments

Only three days until I travel home to see family and friends for a whole festive month, but who’s counting!

I am so, so happy to get home and see everyone. You know that feeling in your chest that makes you choke up a little when you think about seeing everyone for the first time in a long time? You don’t? I do. I love it. 

But that fact is not to discount the really fantastic semester I have, in fact, had. The time has absolutely flown by, and I think it seemed to go by so fast because, as they say, time flies when you’re having fun. I have to agree, it’s a real thing!

One of the most important things I do to make fime tly … wait, sorry — time fly — is to make time for fun and friends. Oh, and food, definitely food, so basically the three essential F’s. Food, friends, and fun. In that order. Just kidding, friends come first. Actually, technically, school comes first…but now I’m just rambling. 

Wait, can I just take this time to ask for a little sympathy? I’m ending the semester with a cold and a group project. Do things get worse? I don’t actually think so.

Anyway, I think the clubs and societies on campus were a perfect way get from September to December in one split second. There were so many clubs to choose from, I really just couldn’t pick one! So I picked two. 🙂 And next semester I’ll be joining my third!

One of my favorite trips that took me outdoors, gave me a butt-kicking workout, and showed me a bit more of Scotland that I haven’t seen before was with the Rucksack Club. We went on a 7 hour hike on the Three Sisters of Glen Coe. And then I cancelled any plans for a glute workout for the next 389137 years. We left really early on a Sunday and took a minibus out there, went on our hike, and had a drink at a pub when we were all done. Obviously, I slept like a baby that night. Just kidding I actually went home and finished an essay that was due the next day, but otherwise I definitely would have slept like a baby. 

IMG_0932It was a rainy and chilly day and there were many moments where the fog would roll in and completely remove any scenic view we had, but just as quickly, the wind blew the fog away and the views came back once again and stretched for miles. So moody. So good. IMG_0935

An extra bonus of being in the Rucksack Club means I am able to use (for free!) gear from the Gear Store with a simple deposit that I get back upon returning the gear. A friend of mine and I took a trip on our own to Loch Lomond in October where we ‘wild camped’, so it was insanely handy to be able to borrow a rucksack, map, sleeping bag, and waterproof trousers for our trip. Of course, I could invest in my own while I’m over here, but, you know, money and luggage space are the Loch Ness Monsters of my life…so thanks Rucksack Club! I like you! Lot$!

IMG_0940The Three Sisters are named Gearr Aonach, Aonach Dubh, and Beinn Fhada, if you wish. And please don’t ask for the phonetics of those because I just simply am not qualified, though I do wish I was.

And a side note, if you love rock climbing (see my rock climbing video montage here) the Rucksack Club goes on Wednesday afternoons/evenings at Avertical World Climbing Center, you know, the old church by the Hub, kind of across from Dalhousie? Maybe you’ve seen it? This is my recommendation to you. Go!

*******

Moooving on to Club #2! The Surf Club! I had only been one other time before this, and it was in the very warm water of Costa Rica, so this was quite new for me but even more challenging slash exciting than I expected. After I put the wetsuit on backward, I tried again, put it on inside out, tried again, and then managed to finally put in on with the right side out and the right side forward. Of all the things in the world to put on, I think a wet-wetsuit might be the worst. And I managed to have to do it 3 times! 

14446057_10210643911756222_1598599800004545937_n

We spent the afternoon in St. Andrews trying to catch wave after wave. It was so exciting to feel like I was catching one and then try to keep my balance as I try to stand up. By the end of the day, I was exhausted, beaten up from the board, and had sand in places I think it might stay for eternity. 

And I’ll wrap this up super quickly with a note that I joined in on a yoga class by the University Yoga Society and I really enjoyed it. That actually says a lot considering I tend to be really picky about my yoga classes…if they’re too cold, too loud, too big, too slow, too unfocused…you get the point. I’ve really been missing my yoga studio back home so I’m very happy to have found one that’s just as enjoyable. 

Love the Rucksack Club, love the Surf Club, love the Yoga Club, love a night club..wait that’s not part of this is it.

So that’s all I have for 2016!

Catch you on the flippity flop!