International students, listen up!
By this point in the semester you have probably become very familiar with your surroundings- our campus, the Perth Road, the Law. You may even have ventured to Broughty Ferry or St Andrews but now you want to know where to go next. From my experience of studying abroad, travelling was one of the main things that I wanted to do but knowing where to go when time (and funds) are limited means its important to make the right decision.
So here’s a list of the top ten places to make sure you make the most of your time in Scotland!
(1) Edinburgh- only an hour away by train make sure you head over and check out all that the Capital has to offer including Edinburgh Castle, the Royal Mile and (for all you politics students) Holyrood.
(2) Glasgow- the People’s Capital, grab an Irn Bru and shop till you drop along Buchanan Street making sure to pay a visit to the famous British toy store, Hamleys (we’re all big kids really).
(3) Ayr- for anyone wanting a real taste of some Scottish history why not take a trip over to the West Coast and visit Culzean Castle like I recently did (see pictures below).
(4) Loch Lomond- fancy trying out some water sports whilst taking in some of Scotland’s most idyllic views? Head over to Loch Lomond, the views are not to be missed (10+ points if you manage to pronounce “loch” correctly).
(5) Aviemore!- For all the skiers out there who have come to Scotland for the snow, this is the place for you!
(6) Gleneagles- perfect for anyone looking to escape the hustle and bustle of city (and student) life for the weekend, check in to the spa and check out of reality for a couple of days.
(7) Crieff- only an hour away from Dundee and home to the Famous Grouse experience- you can’t come to Scotland and not try a sip of whiskey (that’s the official rule).
(8) Oban- get your hands on a proper British fish supper and eat it by the sea (ideally without the seagulls stealing your chips).
(9) Troon- for all you golf enthusiasts looking to visit some famous British golf courses, Royal Troon was recently home to the British Open in 2016.
(10) Arran- perfect for a weekend of camping and toasting marshmallows- catch the ferry from Ardrossan and enjoy a weekend on one of Scotland’s cutest little islands.