Dissertation? Done it mate.
For those of you who are about to embark on the dissertation journey, here’s a few things I learned along the way:
(1) Be proactive- start thinking of ideas as soon as possible because ultimately this will save you a lot of time and stress later on.
(2) Know that you will probably change your mind at some point after you’ve settled on a topic. Maybe you start to panic that your topic isn’t in depth enough or there aren’t enough materials. Fact probably is that you are just having a bad day. When this happens talk things through with your advisor before you make any rash decisions. They’re there to help!
(3) If you’re sensible you’ll do a little bit every day rather than leaving it all to the weeks before. Or maybe you’ll end up being one of the people on LAD Bible who complete it in the 36 hours before your deadline. Whatever works for you.
(4) Don’t overthink it. Just the word “dissertation” tends to scare people but in reality its just a big essay. You’re not expected to write the next Pythagorus theorem (at least I hope not).
(5) If you’re struggling, remember that you are not the first nor the last to attempt to write a dissertation. If I can do it, so can you!
(6) Keep the finishing line in mind- next stop graduation (still coming to terms with this one). And also the celebrations afterwards- see pictures below.
Best of luck future fourth years!