My Dundee Bucket List

• 14 October 2017, 08:04
  • 0 Comments

Being at university we often get so caught up in our day to day routines and commitments that we often forget to take a step back and actually take a moment to embrace our surroundings. Everything we do in our time here at university has a certain goal that is attached to it, may it be related to our future careers, education or our health. However, we often forget that not everything we do needs to be beneficial for our future self. Sometimes we need to do things that are valuable for our present self. In our daily hustle, we put aside our drive to try new things and being spontaneous as we are too goal oriented and too preoccupied in meeting them. This is why having a bucket list is important. A bucket list is like a ray of hope that adds an edge to our lives, and forces us to take the time out to go after the passions and curiosities we have. Plus, the likelihood that you achieve the things on your list is higher when you share them with another person, as you motivate one another to complete the list. So here are the top five things that are on my list that I really want to complete before I graduate from Dundee.

1. On a sunny day, spontaneously go eat ice cream in Broughty Ferry by the beach:

As we don’t get a lot of sunny days in Dundee, we really need to make the most of those days when the sun is out. And this can be the perfect way to escape your daily routine, even if it is for a couple of hours. It is important to get away from your routine once in a while, because doing the same things everyday can become exhausting, so doing something different once in a while allows you to recharge.

2. See the sunrise/sunset from Law:

The Law in my opinion has the most spectacular view of Dundee, and because it is away from the main city, this makes it so peaceful. Plus, you never know what watching the sunrise can do for you mentally and physically as it has been proven that it helps to put you in a good mood throughout the day. What better way to start your day by seeing the sky turn colors you didn’t know existed and giving you hope for a new day. (If you are not a morning person, you can always catch the sunset instead!)

3. See a sky full of stars at the Observatory:

Do you remember the last time you were away from the madness of the city and took the time to get away all the chaos and see a sky full of stars? Looking at a sky full of stars in one the ways I like to destress, as they always make me realize how small our problems are and how small we are in comparison to the greater universe. Looking at the stars personally gives me perspective, it allows me to see that whatever I am finding overwhelming and difficult in the present is actually insignificant.

1. Walk/Cycle across the Tay Bridge:

Now I know walking across that bridge takes a really long time and that it is exhausting by the end of it, but trust me the amazing views you get to see on the way defiantly make it worth it. So, on a nice sunny day, take your camera and enjoy the jaunter! 

5. Have a BBQ on Magdalen Green:

I already did this in my first year, and I have to see it was one of the most memorable days that I have had in first year. It was one of my friend’s birthday and we decided to get a couple of disposable BBQ’s from Tesco and start a BBQ. The day was perfect for it as well and everyone had just finished their exams, so the overall vibe was great! We also ended up playing football, frisbee and just lying on the grass and taking all the sun in.

6. Dance in the snow!:

Before coming to the UK I had never seen snow or a snowfall, so naturally my first winter in Dundee I was very excited about seeing the snow. All my friends knew that I hadn’t seen snow either, and I had told them that they immediately had to contact me if they saw that it started to snow. So I was in the cinema and half way through the movie my phone starting buzzing uncontrollably and I was getting multiple messages telling me that it was snowing outside. I immediately ran out and dragged one of my friends with me (so they could take photos of course), and to this date I still remember how happy and excited I was when I saw the snow beginning to fall. I must have looked like a lunatic as I was jumping around and dancing!

Hey guys! I am Simran Chopra, and I am a hybrid Indian by ethnicity but I grew up in the barren lands of the nomads- Oman. Now I am pretty sure most of you don’t know where Oman is, so let me give you a quick geography lesson. Oman is a small country located in the Middle East and is right by Dubai (UAE). Also why a hybrid Indian? That’s because I have parents from the North and South of India hence the term hybrid!