For anyone considering a history degree, or anyone just wondering what it’s like to study history, here are 10 things you need to know about studying the best subject you can study at university!
- As a history student, you have very few contact hours, which means you have a lot of time to yourself. You really have to learn to spend this time wisely!
- But there’s a reason for all this time to yourself, and that’s because you have so much reading to do! History basically revolves around you doing a lot of reading and coming up with your own opinions on topics from absorbing various historians’ opinions.
- Just as important as reading is writing. As a history student, you have to be comfortable writing a lot! In first year we have weekly journals to submit so we’re constantly writing about what we’re studying every week!
- Because of all this reading and writing, the library will become your second home!
- From studying the past, you’ll get a better understanding of the present and learn to form your own opinions on current issues.
- You’re guaranteed to find something that fascinates you within the subject of history! It’s so broad that there’s something for everyone!
- The subject of history contains some of the most valuable information you can ever obtain, due to the importance of certain historical events in our modern everyday lives.
- You could contribute to history at some point in your life, and have the possibility of becoming a published historian quite easily through the humanities society here at Dundee!
- There will never be an end to the study of history!
- Contrary to popular belief, you will meet the most interesting people through studying history!
History, in my opinion, is one of the most important subjects you can ever study, so I hope this has encouraged some of you to be more involved in history!