Halls can be quite an isolating experience, despite being surrounded by other students ‘in the same boat’. We all go through various struggles but hopefully these tips will help you stay sane in halls!
- Get into a routine with uni work. By this I mean, if you’re like me and don’t have many contact hours, get into a routine of going to the library for a certain time every day. For example, I’ll go to the library for about 9:30 every day, despite none of my classes starting until 12. I’ll usually leave the library any time between 3 and 5, depending on when I have classes or what I have to do at the flat, such as laundry or cooking dinner. Stay out of the flat during ‘working hours’ so you don’t go insane trapped in there by yourself for far too long, and enjoy going back to your room after a long day of work!
- Despite this…don’t work constantly! Have days off and give yourself plenty of breaks. Get out of the flat as much as possible during breaks just to get fresh air and move about.
- Go for walks! The riverside is lovely for walks in Dundee but most of the city centre is nice to walk around, during the day or at night! Just make sure at this time of year that you’re wrapped up warm!
- This isn’t for everyone but perhaps go ‘shopping’ – even if you don’t have the money to treat yourself, it can be good just getting out and having a look around the shops.
- If you have a significant other, spend some time with them! I recommend Dundee Ice Arena or Cineworld, and there are plenty of places to eat out in Dundee or get takeaway! Spend time in each other’s flats so you aren’t always in your same boring old place.
- Alternatively, go out with your flatmates, or other friends from uni. Making sure you’re close with your flatmates will make living in halls so much easier as you’ll enjoy the time you do spend in your flat!
- Linked to this, talk to your flatmates about any problems you’re experiencing. Whether they’re personal problems or things to do with the people you’re living with or your communal areas, talking things through with your flatmates can make living in halls so much easier, as that communication makes the experience much more comfortable!
Hopefully those who have been living in halls this semester have survived so far!