The Reality of Moving across the World

Moving to Uni was probably one of the biggest things I’ve ever done. I grew up in the capital city of New Zealand, half a world away! I was about 14 when I decided I wanted to move to Scotland to come to Uni, and it didn’t take me long to realise Dundee University was the place to be! The reality of my decision really hit me about a month before moving day. In comparison to a lot of my friends, who went to Uni in our hometown. I had 4 flights, 27 hours of flying, 12 hour time change and a different hemisphere ahead of me. I was quite nervous as it was the furthest I had ever travelled by myself and there were so many unknowns on the other side!

First things first, was figuring out what to pack! I had lived my whole life in the same room, of the same house practically since I was born. If you’ve never cleared out your room since you were a kid, it’s amazing how much you can hoard in 18 years, which I now had to pack into 2 suitcases!

Unexpected thoughts come into your head when flying out of your home airport, I wasn’t sure how long it was it was going to be until the next time I would be back!  When the air hostess was announcing the safety procedure, I found myself wondering when the next time I would hear someone speak with my accent,  and where that would be.

I think the most fascinating thing about flying into 3 continents in the space of 2 days, is the realisation of the amount of diversity there is in the world. I also discovered that no matter where you come from, it seems there is a universal rule for every person, in every flight, to crowd together in the same 3 square feet when collecting their bags from the carousel. The biggest obstacle about getting from one country to the next is not customs, but fighting past 200 people standing between you and your bag slowly drifting away from you.

Coming across the Tay Bridge for the first time, with sun shining and no clouds in the sky, is something that is hard to describe. But if there was anything to make up for  the jet lag and no sleep, that was definitely it. The reality of what you’ve managed to achieve comes into perspective when you finally arrive, and see where you’re to call home for the next few years. The miles shrink into nothing and you become immersed in your new surroundings. The accents are different and the buildings are all older than most of my country! Once you’ve settled in, the most important thing on everyone’s mind after being on Airplane mode for the last 2 days, is where’s the nearest WIFI?!

Hey :) I am a 4th Year International Business student from New Zealand. I am heading into my final year at Dundee and have loved every minute of it! I'm looking forward to what this year brings, and sharing some of my experiences on here!

5 Responses to “The Reality of Moving across the World”

1. I loved reading this, Liam! It was interesting to read that you were wondering about the next time you’d hear a New Zealand accent – how are you getting on with understanding the Dundee accent?

Looking forward to reading more about what you think of Scotland!

Claire

2. So young when you decided you first wanted to come to Scotland and well done to you for sticking to your dream! I hope in future posts you will be highlighting your exceptional dancing skills! Keep up the good work.

3. Geraldine

Congratulations, Liam, for fulfilling your dream to study abroad. You should be proud of yourself 🙂
      Reading your post made me feel what I felt when I just arrived to Dundee (just almost one month now). It was like a mix of feelings: I felt homesick when I arrived to my room and no one was there, I desesperately wanted to communicate with my family to say that I am ok (I am from South America) and that I am in “home” now, but also felt excitement for conquering a dream and starting this new experience.
      Hope you will do great!

4. Aleksandra Mergo

So relatable! I felt super awkward when a taxi driver was talking to me and I could understand only about 30% because of his thick accent. But it all worked out so well in the end.

When and where did you hear someone speak with your accent after the flight to Scotland?

5. Inspiring to hear how you managed to shift across the world and fit in so well. Great to hear you fulfilling your goals and dreams, absolute inspiration to all of us!

You’ve really helped me in my decisions to move across the world and I’m looking forward to hopefully meeting some great people like yourself. I would love to hear more about your experiences at Dundee and maybe some more about where you’ve struggled.

Some more questions I really love to hear you answer would be:
      What lies ahead after your time at Dundee University? Do you plan on returning to New Zealand at all? Do you still stay in contact with anybody from New Zealand?

Thanks again, very inspiring!

He iti hoki te mokoroa nāna i kakati te kahikatea.