Dundee University China Exchange

The University of Dundee offers an opportunity for students to take part in a summer school hosted by the Eastern Chinese University of Science and Technology (ECUST). This 8-week program based in Shanghai allows you the amazing opportunity to see not only what Shanghai has to offer but also Nanjing and Hangzhou.

When you are on campus, we got to take cultural lessons in Mandarin, martial arts and Chinese writing. While tricky it is extremely rewarding as you gain new skills and a better understanding of Chinese culture.

One of my favorite experiences was visiting the Shanghai Tower. My advice would be to go before the sun sets, so you get to see the view in daylight dusk and night. The view is amazing and worth the 180-yuan price tag. Remember to take your student card! I, however, would also recommend the bottle opener tower, while I didn’t pay to visit the top, I went to the restaurant and got to enjoy the price the price of a pint of a cold tiger!

The most beautiful place I visited was the west lake. The sun glistened off the lake making it glitter. A boat ride around the lake followed by a rest in a Starbucks, for the air conditioning!
We also got some engineering related site visits. I got a boat tour of the Yangzi Estuary followed by a visit to a scale model of the estuary. This enabled us to understand the widening project, to allow more shipping.

With applications for next summer opening in February I would Definity recommend applying!

Hi, I'm a third Year Civil Engineering student. I hope you enjoy reading my blog about life at the University of Dundee.