A couple of years ago, I wrote a blog on my favourite places to eat and drink in Dundee. As Dundee has been going through major changes, new places have popped up and I have also discovered new places that have stolen my heart. Here is my updated top 5:
1. Bird & Bear: When a friend tells me “Let’s grab a catch-up brunch”, the first place I think of is Bird and Bear. It has a fun atmosphere with beautiful interiors, reliable food and extremely good service. It also has a lot of good choices for vegans and vegetarians which is always a plus. My favourite brunch option is the quinoa and coconut pancakes which are absolutely delicious and just the right quantity to fill me up.
2. The Bach: An amazing place to have breakfast, similar to Bird and Bear, there is an extensive selection of vegan and vegetarian options. The one advantage to The Bach is that the breakfast menu is more customisable. One thing I will say is that it is not as well lit as Bird and Bear and the seats seemed slightly too low for the table. Despite these things, I really enjoy the experience and think the service is great.
3. Abandon Ship: This is an edgy bar and food spot. I have only been for drinks but I loved the atmosphere. The problem I have with some bars is that the music is too loud and it becomes hard to have discussions, I didn’t feel this way with Abandon Ship. I have to say, the best thing about the bar is the interiors, the walls are hand painted and the space contains a lot of interesting art, these add to the ambience which I really enjoy.
4. Duke’s Corner: I don’t know how this place was not on my initial list but it deserved to be. It’s a spacious bar with a good music scene often times with performances and DJs which make it extremely lively. One thing to note is that since it is a bar/club sometimes closer to the dance floor the music can be quite loud and making it almost impossible to have discussions but moving further to the back can help. On weekdays they have a great deal called ‘Feed me for a Fiver’ which means you can get quite a filling meal for £5.
5. The Boozy Cow: There was a period in the first semester of my third year that I was a Boozy Cow Regular, why? Because they have so many nice perks for students and I really enjoy the vibe of the space. Firstly, students get 15% off which is great and another amazing perk is that you get a free milkshake every time you submit and assignment or essay! On top of this, the service is great and food is amazing.