A UCAS Personal Statement Guide and Example

For all of you worrying about getting into university and writing your personal statement, stop!  I am here to help with tips and advice into creating the best version of yourself on one sheet of paper!

If you haven’t read my previous blog about “Being your own self and creating your personal brand” – make sure you do here! It can probably help you here when writing confidently about who you are, your values, and why you chose the course you are applying to.

The personal statement is an important part of your UCAS application. It’s your chance to describe your ambitions, skills, and experience to university and college admissions staff.

One thing I cannot do for you is giving you your own things to take about. Make sure to get involved in extra-curricular, volunteering, and keep up with your hobbies.  These are all things UCAS will like to see. I will explain what I included in my personal statement and why, that got me 5 unconditional offers for universities in Scotland. Everyone’s will vary due to different course choice, sometimes people are applying to different courses at different Universities – but you only get one statement for all! SO….

• If you are applying to different courses stay general to the field not the course!
  • They aren’t looking for a description of their course, they want a description of you.
  • Be enthusiastic! Don’t be scared to show your passions. It will sound much better if it is from the heart and is not just a bundle of information.
  • Add your extra-curricular! Whether it is Duke of Edinburgh, a school prefect, student mentor, or sports captain – universities will see ambition and responsibilities. They want to see that you are taking on responsibility and are able to handle yourself in the “big bad world”. (Its not bad!!!)
  • Think about the university requirements and skills needed in the course – how are you suited and what can you show to prove this.
  • Remember, this won’t spill out on to one sheet of paper instantly! It will take several drafts and rewrites to get it to the place you are happy with. Have family read over it, or teachers, to make it the best it can be.
  • If you think of new things to mention along the way then write it down on a note!
  • Always SAVE!!! There is nothing worse than writing a statement you are proud of and have spent so much time on just to lose it by being careless! It will make you upset and demotivated to write it with the same standard the second time around. SAVE!
  • I cannot stress enough BE YOU! Universities want individuals. Do not copy friends, believe in yourself and make a good impression.

I hope this advice helps you out. Everyone writes their story in a different way, so find a way that works for you.

The way I write and develop a statement/profile is by telling a story. This may not be for everyone, but it helps the statement sound personal. This is the step by step of my personal statement:

1. How I came to my decision by looking at what I was good at (identifying my qualities!)
  2. Why I chose the subjects I studied in 5th and 6th year and how they contribute to my qualities.
  3. Why I enjoy these subjects
  4. Linking this to my course choice!!!
  5. Why I chose my course – the deep routed reason that shows my values and ambition in life. (oooft)
  6. How I have shown that I own these values through activities, volunteering, or projects (again, always link to your degree choice!)
  7. What skills I have gained from the activities etc (above)
  8. How did this make me the best candidate for the degree
  9. I listed my hobbies – what makes me, me/what I enjoy to do. (this shows you are human, that you have time to enjoy yourself)
  10. Lastly, I summed everything up in one last paragraph, in a passionate and confident manner.

I am just one student out of many who applied and got in. Each and all with their own personal statement. Don’t worry if you have more questions and need more help to come across confident, visit the UCAS website and head to their “Personal Statement” section where they have more tips and advice to what Universities want!

Good Luck!

Hi! I am a new student blogger this year. I am in my 4th of University studying Civil Engineering. I hope to talk about life in Univeristy and outwith your studies to make the most of your time here!