Target Jobs ITs not Just for the Boys

(I’m featured in the video above!)

In October 2019, I had the pleasure of attending TargetJobs ITs not Just for the Boys hell in the Bloomberg London HQ. I previously attended the Future Female Engineers event (twice) and gained a lot from it! I wrote a blog about one of the events here (insert link). During the hustle and bustle of university life, it is very easy to lose the bigger picture; for me, that is that university is a stepping stone to the positive impact I want my future to hold. TargetJob events really help put things into perspective by putting me around likeminded individuals and professionals who currently are where I see myself in the future.

I think a good way to talk about this event is to take you through all the different sessions there were and what I gained from them (please beware these times may not be 100% accurate because the event was a long time ago) : 

Just to set the scene, IT’s Not Just For The Boys is an event targeted at undergraduate students in the UK interested in a career in IT. The event is not limited to students studying IT-related degrees (for example I study Mechanical Engineering). It was created due to the fewer proportion of women chasing jobs in IT as well as what future demands require (i.e. more people in technical roles). The event has different partners in the Tech industry who attend the event for this event the were: arm, BlackRock, Bloomberg, BT, Facebook, IBM, J.P. Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Orbium, Siemens and Visa.

11:00 (More like 11:15, because I got lost!)

How to Design a Life and Career you love 

The event started with a truly inspirational talk by Selina Barker titled ‘How to design a life and career you want’. This talk was a real ice breaker but also allowed for introspection. She asked us to really think about what makes us come alive, as these things should be part of the way we live. It was about figuring out what made us happy and incorporating that into our busy schedules. What I really got from it was that I needed to have a habit of doing the things I love in order to have a career I enjoyed (I could say a lot more about this but maybe will save it for another blog!) We got to share these things with the person sitting down next to me which was great cause I had a chance to verbalise my passions as well as hear what made someone else happy.

12:00

Networking Lunch 

This was an opportunity to speak to other students, see what they were doing and what their career aspirations were. I made a lot of good connections during this time and also bumped into my cousin! The food was really good and also conscious of different dietary requirements. 

13:00

Team Challenge 

This was an IT design challenge that we worked in teams to solve and I was on the Bloomberg team. The women I was working with were also fellow attendees of the event. We presented our solution to the Bloomberg HR representative after our time was up. It was an extremely pleasant experience!

14:00

Skills Session 1 & 2 

This is an opportunity to have a session with an employer in a small group. I learnt more about the recruitment process and company and also got the chance to ask specific questions. My companies for the day were Facebook and Bloomberg.

15:30

Panel Q&A 

This is always my favourite element of the Target Jobs events. Senior professionals from some of the sponsoring companies are in a panel where we have the opportunity to ask questions. A lot of the questions asked were advice related and the answers were extremely inspirational and exciting!

16:15

Insider Insights 

During this part of the event, we got to have a networking session with graduates who work at the sponsoring companies. It was a great way to ask them for their experience so far and advice. 

17:00

Event Wrap up & Awards 

This was to get everybody together again and wrap up the event. We also got the opportunity to give feedback and claim our expenses. Throughout the day the recruiters were meant to nominate students they feel stood out, I was one of the students who was nominated and won an Amazon Echo!

Overall this event was amazing and if you are interested in applying checkout: 

https://targetjobs.co.uk/events/its-not-just-for-the-boys

Hi, I'm a Nigerian Final Year Mechanical Engineering student. This year I have engrossed myself in so many different aspects of uni life. I hope you enjoy reading and watching my candid opinion of life at the University of Dundee.