I think now, more than ever, it is so important to have a good relationship with the people you live with. We’re spending so much more time at home, so to avoid this time being a misery, I have a list of 5 things you can do for your flatmates, or ask them to do for you, that will help you all get along while spending a lot of time together.
- Have a chat about what you all need from each other. There’s no point in really starting this list without mentioning this one. If you don’t know what you all want from each other, then the other ideas on this list might be absolutely meaningless! It doesn’t have to be formal in any way, but maybe when you’re sat around having tea one night, you could ask what things get on your flatmates’ nerves in the flat. This could be as simple as ‘I’m always the one to clean the dishes and I’m sick of it!’ or as tricky as ‘I’m really struggling to look after myself at the moment.’ From having this ‘deep’ conversation, you can all learn more about each other and figure out ways to help each other out. For example, you could take turns doing the dishes at different times of the day, or you could check up on each other to see if you’re really looking after yourselves. Hopefully, this conversation will be as productive for you as it was for me and my flatmates!
- Take on one job around the flat that is ‘your job’ so no one else has to worry about it being done. For example, one of my flatmates always cleans the shower. That way, no one else has to think about cleaning the shower. This means that there is just that little weight off of everyone else’s shoulders, and you have one task that you can dedicate more time to.
- Just because you have that ‘one job’ doesn’t mean you get away with doing nothing else around the flat though! My next idea would be to do the dishes or give a surface a quick spray and wipe down if you notice it needs done. Little tasks like these really don’t take long at all and make a big difference to the wellbeing of everyone in the flat, as again, it’s one less thing to think about! When I walk into my kitchen, I hate there being piles of dishes and dirty surfaces. But when we each do our bit and do the dishes before they pile up too big or wipe the surfaces before they get too gross, it’s much better for everyone involved.
- If you’re going to the shops, food or otherwise, ask if anyone in the flat needs anything. This is such a simple question but can mean a lot to someone who is struggling through some coursework or who doesn’t feel like leaving the flat that day. Even if they don’t ask you to get anything, it’s so nice to be asked.
- Finally, plan some flat takeaway nights! I love having a takeaway with my flatmates, but I appreciate it being planned in advance so I know when I’m going to have to spend that little extra money on my tea. For me, a takeaway is such a treat, and eating with my flatmates really brings us closer together. I love it!
I hope these little tips help you and your flatmates get a bit closer and appreciate each other more during these hard times.
One Response to “5 Little Things You Can Do For Your Flatmates”
wow!!! Good recommendations. Its goods to be together at every moment