Comfort food at it’s finest and yet filled with protein to make you feel good about it.
The yellow split lentil packet at Lidl costing only about 70p, you can make an amazing healthy budget friendly dish. It can be soup or even curry with rice.
All you need are 4 ingredients – yellow lentils, chili powder, turmeric powder and salt. Cumin seeds are optional.
- Soak a cup of yellow lentils at least 2 hours before cooking them. You can even keep them overnight if you tend to forget like me. This step helps in cooking lentils faster and give it a fine smooth texture.
- When you start cooking, take a pot, and add double the amount of hot water of the lentils you took. Add your lentils, 1 teaspoon of turmeric and usually 1 teaspoon of chili powder (depends on your preference) and salt as needed.
- Put it on high flame and let the spices mix with lentils.
- Keep checking the lentils as they can burn if there is not enough water.
- Soon you will notice the lentils breaking and you can use a masher to create a thick puree
- Now you can either eat it just like that as soup or you can add tadka* and make it a curry
To make the tadka
- On a high flame take a separate small pot and add 2-teaspoon ghee (clarified butter) or just your normal butter
- Add cumin seeds and 1 table spoon red chilli powder
- Caution, be careful with this step. Once cooked add it to your cooked lentils and cover it with a lid
This dish can be a bit time consuming at first but once you get a hang of it, this will be so quick and easy to make. My friends love this easy dish and its so filling for the price!
*What is Tadka ? also known as tarka, refers to both a technique and the infused oil it produces, which adds an extra layer of flavour and texture in many Indian dishes.