Unhinged

I don’t know what it is, but ever since I came here, I’ve felt a bit unhinged. Maybe you feel it too, like you’re not exactly balanced, that, had you been an actual door, you’d just scrape over the floor a bit. As though if someone decides to put a little more pressure than necessary on you, because that scrapy sound annoys them, you’ll snap, and you will fall out of your frame and land on the floor with a thud. It’s a terrifying yet thrilling feeling and I must admit that the more I feel it, the more I’m enjoying it.

I do think I know what it is though if I’m being honest. It’s the things I’ve left behind in The Netherlands to come here. Some big things, like my wonderful job as a biology teacher, or my family and friends, or small things, like my cacti (whose names are Ilse and Moritz by the way) and my picture frames, that I just couldn’t possibly bring with me. Perhaps it’s the whole traffic-on-the-left-situation the UK does that disrupts my instincts, or the strange taste of UK milk. It helps to remember we’re all leaving things behind though, and most of us are getting used to another place. So, I’m pretty sure I’m not alone in my feelings of unhingedness.

However, the feeling is also incredible. The upcoming year will be filled with new friends, new experiences, new opportunities, and new knowledge. And with all these new things, we can bring our pasts with us, thanks to technology. My friends and family are only a click away, photos can be printed again, and new cacti and many other plant-children have already been bought. And whenever I miss teaching, I can pretend my plants are students instead while I tell them everything about their and my cells. Sure, driving on the right is not a good idea here, but I’ll get used to the left soon enough. I don’t think I’ll get used to your rather unpleasant milk though. That stuff is a crime against my Dutch nature.

All in all, I’m sure we’ll all settle in soon enough, our hinges slowly getting their placement right. We’ll be back in balance and no longer dragging our feet over the floor when someone asks us to open up. I can’t wait to spend this time with you all. It’s a thrill to be here and to take you along on my journey.

Hello, my name is Sophie, I am a postgraduate in Anatomy and Forensic Anthropology from The Netherlands. I did my undergrad in Biomedical Sciences with a minor in Education, I do archery, a lot of different crafts and I thoroughly love sitting down with a cup of tea and a good book.