All blogs

Diary of a postgrad student – a tale of despair

Posted by on 6:11 pm in Featured | 0 comments

Dissertation status – 5 rejections from supervisors.  5!! I believe I mentioned that the reason I am doing a Masters in Psychological Research Methods is because I want to learn to do solid research, so I can do a Phd, so I can reach as many people with my message. It’s a simple message. Our brains need a software update. We are working on a set of rules that come from the caveman days. After all, what use is fight or flight when there aren’t actually any predators? I am fed up of doing talks and writing books that...

read more

Diary of a Postgrad Student – Week 1 done

Posted by on 4:49 pm in Featured | 0 comments

Practicum? Sorted! Signed up and started. Dissertation? Rejections from 4 supervisors so far. Still waiting on a response from my preferred supervisor. Ok well it’s technically week 2 on the timetable, but it’s week 1 of ‘normal’ lectures. Don’t worry about keeping up. I’m confused as hell! What is not as confusing is the lectures. It has been a pleasure to start actually learning stuff, rather than feeling like I’m expected to know everything already. I am reminded of a diagram I used often in...

read more

Diary of a Postgrad student – first ‘proper’ lecture

Posted by on 11:46 am in Featured | 0 comments

Practicum? Probably. Meeting on Thursday to discuss. Watch this space! Dissertation? Rejections from 3 supervisors so far. Waiting on response from 2 others. Trying not to panic So here we are – the first ‘proper’ week of being a Masters student. It was a bit of a chaotic start. I knew I would be in most of Wednesdays for lectures. I didn’t know which of the optional modules I’d picked that I’d actually get. We have a personalised timetable on evision now but there is nothing in there about the optional...

read more

Beginnings

Posted by on 11:24 am in Featured | 0 comments

Beginnings

It’s a rough life, being a blogger. Well. Not really, but it’s tough when the internet shuts down for 10 seconds and your entry is deleted.  All 500 words of it.Regardless of how many times you pressed ‘save draft’. It’s been a time, guys. I have anxiety. Issues. Quickly, apparently, accumulating more.  You can add ‘distrust of the internet’ to the list – one day I might even be able to buy the expansion pack.  You know what else gives me issues? Airplanes. Cue me, a frizzy-haired,...

read more

Frequently Asked Questions by Incoming Students

Posted by on 9:17 pm in Advice for new students, Featured | 0 comments

This is a video I made at the end of my first year (May 2017). Please excuse the blurry graphics and the number of times I say “umm” haha! Also, I had no other options with the thumbnail! Still, I hope you find it useful 🙂

read more

Friendship at Uni

Posted by on 7:54 pm in Advice for new students, Featured, Introductions, Settling In, Social Life, Student Life | 0 comments

Friendship at Uni

My first two weeks at Dundee have felt like starting a new school, having to introduce myself so often and start afresh with new people that I’ve never met before. So, after two weeks of practice, here are some of my tips on how to break the ice when making new friends at uni! I can almost guarantee that you’ll be asked by every new person you meet ‘what are you studying?’, ‘where are you from?’ and ‘what brought you to Dundee?’ so having some witty answers to these questions would be a really...

read more

Dundee Day-One

Posted by on 1:35 pm in Advice for new students, Featured, On Campus, Settling In, Student Life | 0 comments

Dundee Day-One

This is a piece I wrote at the end of my first year: It is the 13th of May, 2017. This marks the 202nd day since I first stepped foot in Dundee. The journey was quite long: driving from my home in Lagos, Nigeria to the Muritala Mohammed Airport. I took a 6-hour flight on British Airways — LOS to LHR. Transferred from LHR to EDI. Took a tram from the Edinburgh Airport to the Haymarket Station. Took a train from Edinburgh Haymarket to the Dundee Rail Station. This was followed by a 5-minute taxi ride from the Dundee Rail Station to my...

read more

How I Got a Paid Internship After First-Year

Posted by on 12:28 pm in Applications, Featured, Internships, Uncategorized | 0 comments

It is common knowledge that first years DO NOT get internships but I was quite determined to prove that wrong. With the help of the Careers Service and quite a lot of free time, my application process started. I must admit, I started quite late as application season starts in September and this was December. Nonetheless, I did not let this deter me; I was still on a hunt for summer internships and insight programs. My Christmas holiday was mostly applications for insight programs and networking events. I applied for three British Petroleum...

read more

Diary of a Postgrad Student – Things I’ve learnt about me

Posted by on 1:13 pm in Featured | 0 comments

I have always had, what I refer to as, a front door complex. I like to know where I’m going. Up until a few years ago this was how I coped with being terrified in social situations. I would work out where I was going (including where the front door actually was) so that I could seem calm and in control when I turned up. It got a bit tricky when I was travelling the world, but I did the best I could to prepare for what I was getting into. Think of a swan. Calm and serene on the surface, but paddling like heck underneath. When it came to...

read more

Diary of a Postgrad student – Induction day

Posted by on 7:19 am in Featured | 1 comment

OVERWHELMED There are no other words for it. Yesterday was a full day induction for my MSc in Psychological Research Methods. The schedule was from 9am until 5pm with a full day of activities. I had also, stupidly, organised to see a new client at 7pm. It was a long day. So the good news to start. I found somewhere to park that is under 1km away from Uni. That is totally doable on a longer term basis. So I got in early and enjoyed a quiet moment in Starbucks I make a rubbish student. I have always got places way too early. So at 8:30am I was...

read more