All blogs

Why I Joined the History Society

Posted by on 3:10 pm in Featured, Social Life, Student Life, Student Societies | 0 comments

Why I Joined the History Society

I was introduced to the History Society at a Humanities open day I’d been to before uni started, in which the student ambassadors told us about some trips the society had organised and what else the society gets up to (such as pub quizzes and the history ball). It sounded like exactly what I needed, so I was hooked from then on and intrigued to find out what else I could get involved in through the society. Many people told me before leaving for uni, “joining societies is so important for you to be able to meet people with similar...

read more

Dundee University Archery Club

Posted by on 5:01 pm in Featured, On Campus, Social Life, Student Life, Student Societies | 0 comments

Dundee University Archery Club

If you’ve ever wanted to embrace your inner Robin Hood or ‘shoot for your own hand’ in true Merida style, the Dundee University Archery Society may be the place for you. Training is usually on Thursdays at 19:30-21:30 and Saturdays at 15:00-17:300 in the ISE. Abilities range from beginner to experienced and you can learn to shoot even if you have never held a bow in your life. After the session archers usually head along to the sponsor pub, Medina for some drinks and pizza, and the society frequently hold socials. This week...

read more

MacLaren on a Munro

Posted by on 9:51 pm in Around Dundee, Featured, Student Life, Student Societies, Travel | 0 comments

MacLaren on a Munro

You know that feeling when the mountains are calling and you want to get up at 5 on a Saturday morning to scramble up the side of a mountain through the bog and freeze your fingers off while eating lunch sitting on some frozen stone? No? Just me then? Mountains are magical. I realise they’re fairly common in the rest of the world but having lived literally 4 meters below sea level for most of my life, I still get excited like a little kid for Christmas when I see summits rising on the horizon. I’ve said this before but there is no better kind...

read more

Diary of a Postgrad Student – no failure only feedback

Posted by on 6:23 am in Featured | 0 comments

Before you worry, it’s ok, I didn’t fail my first assignment. But I didn’t do very well in it either. Let’s have a bit of context here. This was a paper that required me to pick a topic, do research, gather alternate views and write a discussion/analysis using references to explain my position. I have never had to write anything like this before. I have never had to consider other people’s opinions when write my own. I have never had to cite other people. I have always had to make my writing readable and...

read more

Day in the Life: Follow the Fresher

Posted by on 12:00 am in Around Dundee, Classes, Featured, Settling In, Social Life, Student Life | 0 comments

Day in the Life: Follow the Fresher

7.30am. My alarm goes off, and compared to the 4am wake-up from yesterday to go for a sunrise surf (there were no waves, but top marks for dedication right?) this is a very calm start of the day. The rising sun turns my room orange. I get up to make porridge with blueberries and eat this in the morning sun. I’ll be forever spoiled after living with a view like this. I’m even getting used to the carpet 😉 I have a coffee and somehow still have to hurry to class even though it’s literally a three minute walk. Wednesday is my favourite day in...

read more

A day in the life of a Singaporean! – All Scots Weekend 2017!!

Posted by on 1:21 pm in Around Dundee, Featured, home, Social Life, Student Life, Student Societies, Travel | 0 comments

So now that we are in early November, it was time for another Singaporean meetup this time organised by the UKSSC (United Kingdom Singaporean Student Council) and supported by our very own Dundee University Singaporean Society (DUSG). The event was a great success and both societies received praises from so many different sources. All of this would not have been possible without the help our very own DUSA, who had helped DUSG in every step along the way! United Kingdom Singaporean Student Council Dundee University Singaporean Society The...

read more

10 Things You Need to Know About Studying History

Posted by on 8:35 pm in Classes, Featured, Student Life | 0 comments

For anyone considering a history degree, or anyone just wondering what it’s like to study history, here are 10 things you need to know about studying the best subject you can study at university! As a history student, you have very few contact hours, which means you have a lot of time to yourself. You really have to learn to spend this time wisely! But there’s a reason for all this time to yourself, and that’s because you have so much reading to do! History basically revolves around you doing a lot of reading and coming up...

read more

Life as an Economics with Spanish student

Posted by on 6:09 pm in Featured, Student Life | 0 comments

One of the biggest (and best) differences between school and university learning is the flexibility. Once you start university, mundane awakenings to be met with the same school routine every day become a distant memory. Each day is different – different classes, different times, different people. If I have no early morning classes I tend to go to the gym or the pool, which are both on campus anyway making things a little easier. I then spend most of my day in the library, while going to any timetabled classes in between. As a fourth...

read more

A day in the Life of a BMSc Student

Posted by on 11:59 am in Around Dundee, Classes, Featured, On Campus, Student Life | 0 comments

A day in the Life of a BMSc Student

WED, 1st Nov 2017 The most soul-destroying sound on Earth has to be the default iPhone alarm that greets me every morning at 7am. I go to bed with the best of intentions to have an early night but with my mandatory scroll through Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook and endless YouTube spiral (predominantly about food) it rarely happens. The end result is a rather bleary-eyed, groggy me that tumbles out of bed in the morning. Nevertheless, there’s always time for tea and a quick breakfast before I’m dressed and out the door. This year has...

read more

Diary of a Postgrad Student – Great Pumpkin Carve Out

Posted by on 8:46 am in Featured | 0 comments

You might have noticed that it was Halloween on Tuesday. Last week Glasgow University Psychology Department threw down the gauntlet in a pumpkin carving competition. Pretty soon Dundee and Aberdeen Uni Psychology departments accepted the challenge. It was time for the Great Pumpkin Carveout! The catch was that the carvings had to be on a Psychology theme. They set up 3 categories: Genius (best carving), Controversial and Funny. I had an idea. I could do Schrodinger’s cat. This is a thought experiment which covers Quantum physics,...

read more