My tea’s gone cold, I’m wondering why I got out of bed at all.

Alright blog!

Don’t feel overly concerned about the title, it does somewhat reflect my recent mood, but mainly it’s reflective of a recent rediscovery of the magic of Eminem.  For the (somehow) uninitiated, the title “My tea’s gone cold, I’m wondering why I got out of bed at all” comes from his wonderful (if a little disturbing) song “Stan” (alright, Dido wrote that bit, but let’s not over-complicate this.)  Whether scholars will ever agree or not remains to be seen, but personally I suspect Eminem will be remembered as one of the greatest poets of this century.

Anyway, on to the title.  So, I’ve had a bit of a writing lull recently.  I wrote and wrote and wrote during my first semester, and for the first time in my life I felt a little bit like I was actually a writer- not just someone who occasionally writes things.  Sadly, the excitement of Christmas, and a fair few bottles (alright, crates…) of wine led to me spending the best part of six weeks not writing anything beyond shopping lists (wine, turkey, cheese, more wine).

Today I tried to fix this.  I sat in down on my “work” sofa (the very uncomfortable one in the corner of the living room).  I picked up a pad of paper, tried not to think and just wrote, and wrote.  Many pages were penned, and I foolishly tried to actually read some of them straight after writing them.  They were garbage, utter garbage.  The writing on a sodding bus ticket is more inspiring.

I nearly cried.  My tea had literally gone cold, and I was indeed wondering why the pigging hell I’d got out of bed at all (at 9am, on a Saturday!).  So I reminded myself of the cheesy but true mantras I’ve recited to myself ever since I decided to sort my life out, and start running, eating properly, and went back to Uni:

“I will not defeated”

“I will not be overwhelmed”

I probably should have titled the blog with those two, but let’s be honest, who want’s to read about someone being positive?