#FlashFictionFriday coming soon!

My first full day at Glasgow Women’s Library is in the bag!  An interesting and varied day began with an introduction to the library, its history, value base, scope of projects, policy framework and overview of the team and who does what.  Thankfully,  I was also given a crash course in Twitter.  I’ll be using this platform in coming weeks as a vehicle for the flash fiction project and I’m a rookie when it comes to the ways of the Tweet!

After lunch I sat in on a planning meeting for the 2019 Open the Door festival, the library’s own literary festival which aims to put women’s writing to the fore and break down barriers between writer and reader using an innovative format.  It is named after Catherine Carswell’s novel published in 1920 and is now in its third year.  Discover more about the exciting programmes offered in previous years here:

Open the Door

It was fascinating to listen to discussion of ideas for the 2019 festival, which will take place on Friday 17th and Saturday 18th May.   I’m already thinking I’d like to catch some of the literary action that weekend!  I’ll post more details here as they are formalised.

Hot on the heels of this meeting, I caught up with with Samantha and Jasmin, two post-graduate students on the Museum Studies Masters course at Glasgow University.  They are involved in supporting the GWL Decoding Inequality project which will apply a feminist interpretation to a collection of objects from the library archive to create a  new body of innovative object interpretation and a temporary exhibition.  The exhibition will be launched on 6th March to concide with the pop-up exhibition at the library of Self Portrait as Saint Catherine of Alexandria by Artemisia Gentileschi 

Rare Artemisia Gentileschi Self Portrait to Tour to GWL in March 2019

There will be an accompanying community learning programme, outreach handling resource and an online digital collection and interpretation resource.  Friday 15th March sees  the launch of the sectoral report at a Decoding Inequality event, sharing this equalities-led approach to object interpretation with museum and archive colleagues in the sector and beyond.

My final activity for the day was to make a foray into the archive with Hannah to identify some objects which can be used as writing prompts for #FlashFictionFriday over the course of my placement.  With limited time available today we unearthed a few possible items ranging from 1950’s annuals for girls to women’s roller-derby artefacts.  Next week I hope to discover more intriguing materials to stimulate the creative imagination and to prepare the ground in readiness for our first flash fiction submissions .

For those unfamiliar with Glasgow Women’s Library, lots of information about the library, the archives, current projects, programmes and activities available here:

About Us