Pre-placement Panic

I am extremely lucky to have been granted an internship at Edinburgh’s fantasic Luath Press. But the start date is now a mere 3 days away and its fast approach brings with it a myriad of emotions.

Anyone who knows me will tell you I’m far from shy (perhaps they’d even show you the video of me belting out Cher’s ‘Believe’ to a pub full of strangers). But I think a lot of English Lit students (including myself) have insisted they ‘want to work in publishing’, without really knowing what this entails. Now that I’ve been given a chance to see what it’s all about – I’ll admit I’m nervous. No amount of researching the company, reading the books they produce or googling ‘how to write a press release’ stops me from having the occasional panic …

What if they are disappointed by my lack of knowledge? What if the tasks I’m set are above my skillset? What if I can’t find the building? What if I don’t make a good impression? What if my idea of publishing is all wrong? And for heaven’s sake, WHAT SHOULD I WEAR??

But despite these worries, I am beyond excited. I’ve decided to give myself some much-deserved credit and tackle this opportunity like a boss.

Best of luck to anyone else fighting off nerves and trying new things.

Nicole

2 thoughts on “Pre-placement Panic